Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sweet Potato and Avocado Salad

You don't have to eat it out of the hollowed avocado skin. I literally dumped this on my plate and added about 3 more spoonfuls. It's that good
Everyone seems to be riding the avocado and sweet potato wave and I'm not one to jump on the band wagon but I'm also not one to deny myself my favorite foods. Plus these vegetables are healthy for you! (just keep telling yourself that as you stuff this in your mouth) 

So I basically took this idea and attempted to concoct my own version.

Ingredients:

2 sweet potatoes
olive oil
salt
pepper
2 avocados
lime juice
1/4 of a white onion (or purple for that extra punch of color)

For the sweet potato:

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Peel your potatoes and cut them into cubes.

3. Place the potatoes on a cookie sheet and coat them with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. (Get your hands dirty here! That's an order.)
4. Bake for about 28-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

5. Once cooked, remove from oven and let the potatoes cool while you work on the avocados.

For the avocados:

I was really looking forward to trying this supposedly AMAZING grilled avocado that everyone's been talking about, but......our grill wasn't working so I had to resort to searing them off in a pan on the stove. (It's still good! It's still good!) But really, didn't make much difference. I just still want to try them on the grill. 

1. Cut the avocados in half and take out the pits.
2. Brush some lime juice and olive oil on the avocado halves.
3. Place the avocados flesh side down on your pan over medium heat. 
4. Keep an eye on them! They won't need more than a couple of minutes.
5. When the flesh side has a nice brown on it, let the avocados cool and carefully spoon them out of their skins.
6. Cut the avocados into cubes just like the sweet potatoes (perhaps smaller though).

Now put it all together!

1. Put your cooked, cubed sweet potatoes and cubed avocado in a medium bowl.
2. Cut up about a quarter of medium-sized onion (white or purple. whatever floats your boat). Then add it to your sweet potato and avocado mixture. 

3. Add olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. (I put in about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and about 2-3 teaspoons of lime juice.)
4. Mix it all together and eat it! 


Ain't that just the prettiest salad you ever did see!
WARNING: THIS SALAD TASTES EVEN BETTER THE NEXT DAY. Also, try adding some mango to it too. I ate the leftovers the next day and my mom added some mango to it. Letting it sit the fridge over night really melds all the flavors together and makes it more of a traditional potato salad. SO GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment